The LeanModel™ Competition is a business model competition designed to assist and reward student based start-ups from global four year universities. This competition will draw students from across the world and provide them with an opportunity to pitch their start-ups to potential investors and compete for awards. A distinguished panel of entrepreneurs, angel investors, venture capitalists, and C-Level executives will judge their pitch and evaluate critical elements of the start-up’s LeanModel.
We believe that early on, the start-up must move quickly to prototype and test their product or service, while maintaining customer interaction as a focal point. Too often, teams focus on writing a business plan and never actually interact with their target customers. This new competition, influenced by Lean Startup (Eric Ries) and Business Model Generation (Alex Osterwalder & Yves Pigneur), asks students to direct their efforts toward a realistic model, based on factual information. It challenges competitors to obtain consumer feedback and “pivot” in the right direction.
Successful teams will have mastered the creation of a dynamic business model, which includes:
- A detailed strategy for the creation and delivery of value
- Identification of a particular problem
- Development of a clear and realistic solution
- Ability to pivot, test, and adapt the model until it is perfected.
The LeanModel™ Competition will provide students a chance to win a total of $20,000 in cash and prizes. Important event deadlines include:
- November 4th, 2014: Register on the Lavin Center Website
- December 2nd, 2014: Submit Multi-media on the Lavin Center Website by 11:59pm
- March 6th & 7th, 2015: Two-day competition on the San Diego State University campus.
If you have any questions, contact Madisyn Prior at firstname.lastname@example.org